This past Thursday was our Winter Program at school. All the classes performed a dance from countries all over the world and our country was Peru. One of the teachers at our school stopped me after our dance and asked if this dance was from my country? My country? You mean the United States? I kindly told him no, I'm not from Peru but I'm glad he enjoyed our dance. I guess I can add Peruvian to my list of countries that I could be from.
For those of you who may not know what I do, I work at a school specifically for children with special needs. Most the the children at the school are autistic but in my class we have a child with Downs and my boy (I'm his 1:1 aide) has Cornelia De Lange Syndrome...I had never heard of it either.
I love my job, especially working with my little boy Justin. I love all the aides in the classroom and even throughout the school. I'm so impressed with people who work here and how well they handle the children. There are definitely tiring days when all I can do is come home and sit but overall it is quite fulfilling.
Thursday was an especially busy day because of our Winter Program then our white elephant gift exchange for the After School Program and following my busy day at work I had to "rush" home (an oxymoron in L.A.) and gather together all my supplies for my Enrichment Night I had planned, all while I have been suffering from a flu/cold of an achy body, coughing, sore throat and sneezing.
There was a lot to do to get ready for the activity but I survived the night and came home by 11:00pm with not much of a voice and my body in pain. Needless to say, the women enjoyed themselves and I have a couple weeks of no working and enjoying the holiday season.
6 comments:
You are seriously amazing- what a fulfilling job...I totally admire you.
OH those kids just melt me! That is awesome! And I had to laugh about you being Peruvian! What is it about having brown hair and eyes= like that makes us "ethnic"...Tyler's brother in law asked me when we first got married, if I were in the Olympics, which flag would I run with...What?! Even if I was some ethnicity, having been born in the USA would mean I would still run with the AMERICAN flag! :) Too funny. Merry Christmas Marquisssesses!
Hi Melissa,
It sounds like your job is a good fit for your caring personality. Justin looks like a very sweet little guy. Doesn’t it feel good to work for an organization that really helps people? I hope you guys have a fantastic Christmas!
We admire what you are doing, in your work and in your life, too! Justin is blessed to have someone like you working with him - keep it up! We will miss seeing you next week but hope you will have a Merry Christmas anyway.
How funny that they thought you were Peruvian, that is so cute. I didn't know that you worked there and I think that is so awesome. You are such an amazing person Melissa. I miss you!
The other ladies in the picture look like they would be from Peru more than you! Oh and from your other post I totally went out and bought peppermint ice cream too!
Post a Comment