Sunday, February 10, 2008

Run Melissa, Run!

With a little help from my two new friends, my new running shoes and heart rate monitor, I have decided to run a 10 mile race in Santa Barbara on April 19th. This will be my first official race - unless I count my awesome running skills on field day in 6th & 7th grade. I didn't even participate in 8th grade because by that time I was "so over field day".
I also called on Hal Higdon to help with my training schedule. (Don't even know who this guy is?) I think this novice running schedule will work for me but any of you expert runners out there, please let me know if there is a better one.
http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/15Knovsch.htm

I'm inviting anyone to join me - Dad, sisters, girlfriends? My training starts this week, so I'll need all the motivation I can get to be physically active 6 days a week!

6 comments:

YPR said...

Way to go Mel!

Hal Higdon seems to know what he's talking about, although my training has always been more of the "today I've got an extra hour; think I'll run five miles" type of schedule. Ten miles is a great length - far enough to get really sweaty, but not so far that you'll throw up. Wish I could join you. I'll bet it's a beautiful course. Right now our plans are for a trip down Mexico way (Cabo San Lucas) with Vickie and Greg the week of Spring Break (Easter). My advice is to listen to your body, start out slow, and feel free to walk when you need to.

"Jog on, jog on." Shakespeare

Stephanie said...

Just don't trip at the finish line!

Ty and Holly said...

Ha..ha..Steph's comment made me laugh. Just visualizing your fall in gym as you Steph always laughed about :) Good luck at the race. I've been trying to run more with my new and much needed gym pass...have fun!

Mindy said...

What a great goal. Sounds like you're following in your father's footsteps. Definitely something I need to do, I just don't think enough motivation is there yet--good luck!

LauraP said...

Ha Ha I remember when you were the "new girl" and you tripped and totally fell in gym! Anyway I'm so proud of you, I don't think I could motivate myself enough to even start training, although I have been to the gym twice in the past two weeks with Adrienne, I'm almost ready for a marathon!

Anonymous said...

Run carefully but be sure you have a good time - if you don't, it probably isn't the right thing to be doing.